Friday, October 8, 2010

100!


Yesterday (just a few minutes ago) was President Noynoy Aquino's 100th day as the most powerful man in a nation of more than 90 million. True, he has done missteps in the last few months but I believe he is still on-track despite the the major problems our country has faced. (Whew, I really don't know why it is so hard to resist inserting major-major in sentences like this.) Personally, I don't like Noynoy, even during the campaign season before May 10. I wanted Gibo to win the elections and to lead the Philippines. But when the votes were tallied, I had to give my hopes up. I was sensible enough to think that for us Filipinos, there is no better choice but to be united as a nation and to support PNoy's administration.

Yes, like many, I was not impressed nor stirred by Aquino's performance in his first hundred days in office. I questioned many of his decisions (being-too-good-to-be-true not deciding to live in the Palace and even contemplating of having their family's humble house in Times St. turned into the Presidential Residence; his absent-mindedness during and shortly after the Manila Hostage Taking; walking the streets of NY, instantly becoming a walking security nightmare not only for his PSGs but also to Uncle Sam's CIA; etc) during the most crucial of the times to falter. But he also made some good verdicts on making DOJ Sec. Leila de Lima the highest and most powerful official in the land during the IIRC proceedings; bringing home millions of dollars as pasalubong from his US tour; not marrying Shalani; and most of all, facing the wrath of the Catholic (taliban?) church when he pushed for the pushing of the Reproductive Health Bill.

The first 100 days of a presidency is not enough to judge if Noy handled our country's wheel well (or badly) but it is just a preview of the next few months to come. Like everybody, he has made some right decisions and some decisions that would drive Ninoy crazy. I will not rate his administration from 1-100, 100 being the highest. 85!


*******************

I've been pretty busy for the past few days. In The Huddle's just around the corner and so far, our promotions and preparations have been doing well (and kickin'!). I've been volun-told not to go home for the past week and do some typing, interviewing, researching, and some promoting for the company. Last week, I was in Iloilo promoting ITH but I was struck and killed by stage 2 dengue fever. Luckily, the docs have been busy enough not to prioritize slicing my chest and pulling out my organs to be thrown into a pit of hungry alligators. Five days later, I woke up and went back home to Manila to kill myself again. I just didn't want to die in the province.

I've been to Manila and Jejetown,* Bulacan too promoting Adventurer In The Huddle, and doing a cameo role for Okey ka Kokey the Movie.

Anyways, congratulations to my alma mater, Quezon City Science High School for placing fourth among the more than 100 schools from all around QC. You guys did a great job and I believe you can make it to the Nationals! (I really don't get it why some of the best-est writers usually lose in the Division-level while romping up the awards in the Regional, YMCA, Teodoro, and the Nationals. This jinx has hounded sports writers from QCSHS and other schools for years and the latest victims are Benson Lagason and Alexx Esponga (of JCSGO Christian Academy).


I also congratulate my friends from JCA who also won in the Divisions: Ima de Leon, 3rd in Online Writing, Bullet Sarte, also 3rd in Sports Writing, and to my friend I hate the most, Danielle Nakpil, 7th in Editorial Writing and 8th in Sports. Babawi tayo sa mga susunod na contests! Lalo na sa dyaryo! 


* San Jose del Monte City

No comments:

Post a Comment